Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What factors of your native culture have informed your world view?

To begin answering this question, I will briefly explain where I am coming from. Born in Seoul, my first language was Korean, and I was raised in a Christian home. I grew up in Korea until I was five years old, and after my parents got a calling to be missionaries in Mongolia, we left our home country and moved to the Gobi Desert. We lived there for two years, and then moved to the capital city, Ulaanbator, and stayed there for three years. After that, we moved to China and my parents have been living there ever since. Until I came to TCIS, I did not consider Korea to be my home country. I learned that kids like me were considered a "third culture kid" (TCK), and I faced a time of an identity crisis. Although I am technically a Korean, I cannot say what my true native culture is. I believe I have grown up in a culture that cannot be strictly named, but a term that would best describe it would be "multi-cultural." My world view has largely been shaped by my unique background, and I believe that in some ways, I have an advantage over most average students.

No comments:

Post a Comment