Sunday, December 5, 2010

What does Jesus want us to do for the Sawi?

Before Jesus ascended into heaven, the last words He spoke were: "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:19-20). This command is known as the Great Commission, in which numerous mission organizations base their ideals upon. Even though these words were spoken more than 2,000 years ago, it is still applied today. Jesus wants Christians to "go and make" (active) "disciples of all nations," therefore including New Guinea. Although Don Richardson was able to make Sawi disciples, we should continue to pursue after those who still have not been exposed to Christian principles. And the beginning of this mission should start with prayer: "I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people...This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth" (1Timothy 2:1-4).

4 comments:

  1. I had a tough time answering this question, but ended up using the Great Commission as the answer to this question as well. I think you have good insights of God's true call and desire for Christians and disciples of God. I know that this thing is something that is "easier said than done". When coming to Korea, I didn't want to, I didn't know much about it, and it didn't seem good. However, my parents had to follow God, against their human desires. This has shown me that, in nearly any instance, God's will should take priority and that prayer is a must. I believe that this call to help, teach, and minister to others go out to everyone, and God knows that the Sawi need help! Great post and insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Caroline Lee,
    I used the same bible verse, Matthew 28:19-20, and I think that it definitely relates to the question. I agree with everything that you said in this post. Jesus wants us to make disciples of all nations, not only to the Sawi but to all the other countries out there in the world that do not know Jesus. I love the verses you used in this post and how they answer the question. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline, you have got people chatting and asking questions. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline,

    I really liked this post, it reflects well on you personal thoughts and background as a Missionary Kid. I also enjoyed the verse very much and i think that this applies to what Jesus wants us to do for these cultures as well as what we SHOULD do even without being a Christian. I think that you have answered this question very well and applied the bible verse perfectly for this specific question.

    ReplyDelete